Monday, July 26, 2010

Thrift Share Monday

Welcome to Thrift Share Monday. Please hop over to Apron Thrift Girl and share your thrifty finds with us. Or go there to ogle other people's amazing thrifty finds. The yard sales in our area are winding down as the summer heat builds up. I went to one (one!?!) yard sale on Saturday. There I found a nice winter coat, brand new. Fit perfectly. It was hard to even think about winter in the 90+ heat on Saturday but the coat was so cute that I had to try it on. It came home with me and is hanging in the closet awaiting the first frost.

I'm always looking for art/craft supplies for my artsy dabblings. I have found many useful tools, expensive art paper, sketching pencils, etc over the years. More recently, I've been making journals and I'm always looking for ephemera to make interesting journal pages with. I also like a good mystery. So I couldn't resist these: I found a full set of blueprints, life sized, 1 each for a Ruddy duck, Pintail duck, Teal and Great Horned Owl. Why on earth would anyone make a full set of plans for birds? Life sized, no less. At first I thought they were for making decoys but when I brought them home and studied them fully, I realized there is no indication that is what they are for. Odd. I think they will make great journal pages. I love finding bizarre stuff like this. Does anyone have any ideas why someone would go through this much trouble?

7 comments:

  1. mystery solved?
    http://www.stillerpatterns.com/

    ReplyDelete
  2. I thought maybe decoy patterns, but also maybe just a drawing lab type exercise...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Cool! I think Ana nailed it! (Hopping over from ATG)

    ReplyDelete
  4. The Chesire Cat, wonderful new header!
    Yes, I do think Ana got it right! I esp. like the owl, there is something so mysterious about owls. You have to update how these pages will look in an art journal, very nice!

    ReplyDelete
  5. as i sent the link, i knew you'd probably gotten to it yourself...

    and how endearing is that little crook in the owl's ear tuft?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great find. Even though the mystery has been solved, I still think they are a little quirky. They would look great framed.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Those bird patterns are some of the "coolest" things I've ever seen--great find. I hope you share what you do with them in the future.

    ReplyDelete