Wednesday, January 20, 2010

Plushies

A couple of years ago I purchased the book Plush-O-Rama by Linda Kopp. It's a book of silly plush toys that you can make for yourself. I fell in love with Gregoire, a design by Rosa Pomar:I didn't have a way to enlarge the pattern at the time so I just copied the one straight from the book. I figured it would be a good experiment and I would make a larger one in the future. I made the creature and after several experiments with the lips I finally got it looking OK.
Nowhere near as cute as Rosa's version but since I'm not much of a sewer, I was happy with it. The mouth forms a pocket and I realized that my MP3 player fits perfectly into his mouth pouch. That makes him useful as well as silly. I have to wrap the earphones around his neck to keep it all together; that's sort of disturbing and not terribly practical. I haven't figured out the best way to deal with that issue -I thought about making a little backpack or front pouch but he's so small that I would have to cram the headphones in. Not a good idea.My sister asked for one for Christmas (yes, this past Christmas, not the coming one). I have a ton of wool pieces I bought at a yard sale and I couldn't decide the best one so I made three of them.The red check is the strongest fabric. I like the blue check the best but the material is disintegrating. The plaid is cute too and seems fairly strong. I need to sew lips and faces on these things. The lips are the biggest issue. They don't really sew on the way it's described in the book. At least I can't figure it out. In the picture from the book the lips look amazing. Mine didn't turn out nearly so well.

The book has some inspiring projects. I think I'll have to try a few more. Stay tuned for Batty Cat Bubbles designed by Amy Proff Lyons. Batty is my favorite one in Plush-O-Rama.

No comments:

Post a Comment